Like orange, tangerine is an ancient citrus, cultivated by man before Christ. In comparison to other citrus, mandarin is the most common in tropical Asia, China and Japan.
Mandarin (Citrus reticulata) – a small leafy evergreen tree of the family Rutaceae with leathery lanceolate leaves. Petiolate large leaves have small wings and the duration of the life of each leaf – up to four years. Adult mandarin height (age – about a quarter of century) is 3.5 meters (13′), it has a spherical crown of the same diameter. Its quite large, fragrant, white flowers are bisexual.
Mandarin fruit is bright, small in size (on average 60-80 g), flat-round or slightly elongated, famous for beautiful and refreshing taste and aroma, grows on short branches without thorns. In contrast to the orange, tangerine peel is more thin and easy to peel from slices, which are easy separated from each other.
Mandarin varieties are divided into three groups:
– the first group – very heat-loving noble mandarins with large leaves and relatively large yellow-orange fruits with tuberous skin;
– the second group consists of heat-loving and small-leaved tangerines or Italian mandarin (Citrus reticulata deliciosa) with rather large orange-red fruits, slightly elongated, covered with plump skin (the smell of some varieties is sharp and not very nice)
– The third group of Satsuma, native to Japan, is characterized by cold resistance, large leaves and small yellow-thin-skinned orange fruits (often with a greenish cast on the skin).
In contrast to the noble mandarins and tangerines, satsumas have rare seeds – which is why this species is called seedless mandarin (Citrus unshin Marc.). Its varieties reach 1-1.5 m (6′) Slim mandarin trees with beautiful crown of slightly drooping branches, covered with numerous dark-green leaves, especially decorate the house and fill it with wonderful smells during abundant flowering and fruiting.
As a result of interbreeding with other citrus the mandarin has various hybrids:
– clementine (Citrus clementina) – (mandarin x bitter orange) – small or middle size, flattened, very fragrant orange-red fruits, covered with a thin shiny skin (seeded clementines are called Montreal)
– ellendale – (mandarin x tangerine x orange) – orange-red seedless fruit size from medium to large has an exquisite taste and aroma;
– Tangors – (orange x tangerine) have large (10-15 cm (6”) in diameter) , flattened, reddish-orange fruit with relatively thick, coarse skin;
– Minneola – (tangerine x grapefruit) is a red-orange fruit (from small to very large), the shape is oblong-rounded, has ” tubercle” and “neck” at the top;
– tangelo – (mandarin x pomelo) – a large red-orange fruit with the size of a medium orange;
– Suntina or Sun Tina – (clementine x orlando) – fruit that looks like a noble mandarin, has an exquisite sweet taste and aroma;
– Ugli, Ugly – (tangerine x orange x grapefruit) – the largest among hybrids (fruit diameter of 16 to 18 cm (8”)), flattened with rough macroporous yellow-green, orange or yellow-brown skin.
Mandarin – is an undemanding plant and, in contrast to the orange, does not easily shed its leaves with a sharp contrast in light or changes in care.
Benefits of mandarins
Mandarin and slim figure
100 g of fruit contain only 40 kcal. You can eat juicy orange fruit as you wish and do not worry that this will be reflected in the figure. For comparison – in 100 g of banana 90 kcal, avocado – 100 kcal.
Mandarin and beauty
Make mask with honey tangerine if you have dry skin. Make a paste of mandarin and add the honey, put on the face for 15 minutes, maximum 20. You can do it 2 times a week, 20 procedures. Another mask for dry skin:. grind dried zest into a powder, mix 1 teaspoon of the resulting powder with 1 teaspoon of egg yolk and 1 teaspoon of sour cream. Then put on face and neck for 20 minutes. Rejuvenating mask: citrus water refreshes the skin, cook it in the following way: peel tangerine, put in a bowl and fill it with cold boiled water. Keep one day and filter. Rinse face in the morning and evening or wipe.
For the hair: juice of two mandarins, 10 drops of lemon balm and 1 tablespoon of dry mustard. Mix well, put the mask on your hair for 20 minutes and wash off with shampoo.
Mandarin and health
Tangerines contain potassium, magnesium and calcium. Eat every day a couple of mandarin, and the risk of cardiovascular disease is reduced, and the mood rises.Essential oils in mandarins increase vitality.
Tangerine peel contains pectin important for our body. This substance has the ability to clean the living organisms from harmful substances, and improve peripheral circulation. Make a broth: peel of three mandarins boil for 10 minutes in 1 liter of water. Store it in the refrigerator. Take preferably daily. If you have morning nausea, vomiting, heartburn, aversion to smells, food, eat mandarins! Quite often several slices of mandarin relieve pain in the abdomen of future mothers. If you have a cold, cut mandarin with peel (remove seeds), take apple slices, add the parsley, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
If you have cough and cold, drink a glass of mandarin juice in the morning – it will help to clear the lungs of mucus. Also an infusion or decoction of the dry peel on the water helps to treat a cold (1 teaspoon of chopped peel with 1 cup of boiling water and leave for 15 minutes).
Delicious salad with mandarins
mandarin – 2
almonds – 40 g
olive oil – 2 tbsp.
lettuce sugar – 1 tsp.
lemon – 1/2
Blanch and peel almonds. Then fry it and crush. Peel tangerines, divide into segments and clean. Now put the mandarins on the leaves of lettuce and sprinkle with almonds. Pour olive oil, lemon juice, salt, sugar and pepper. Before serving decorate with greenery. Very tasty and healthy.
Do not forget about the fact that mandarin is a citrus and treats a number of diseases:
• gastric or duodenal ulcer, gastritis
• enteritis, colitis, exacerbation of inflammatory bowel disease, cholecystitis
• acute nephritis.
Yogurt with honey, tangerine and carrot juice
40 g of honey, 1 cup of yogurt, milk, juice of 1 tangerine, 2 tablespoons of carrot juice.
Fresh carrot and tangerine juice mix and dissolve the honey. Mix the yogurt and milk, gradually adding the honey with the juice. Put the pieces of mandarin in a glass for decoration. This drink is especially useful for children.
Salad with mandarin oranges, honey and halva
Mandarins – 4 pcs., halva – 50g, orange juice – 2 tbsp., honey – 2 tbsp.
Peel tangerine, remove seeds and cut into 5-6 circles. Put the pieces on a platter or plates. Drizzle with orange juice, honey. Sprinkle halva. You can leave it for a couple of hours in the fridge, but take out 30 minutes before serving.
Again pour honey before serving.
And some photos of tangerine honey: