Bee stings do not normally present any particular risk – the pain and redness will soon pass. However, for people who are allergic to bee venom, bees, wasps, bumble bees and hornets can be a real threat.
Bee has serrated sting (it remains in the skin after the bite) but wasps, hornets and bumble bees have smooth sting (do not remain in the skin).
The symptoms of a bee sting are well known:
Instantly there is an acute and burning pain in the place of the bite,
swelling and redness of the bite with a white dot in the center (entry point of tip).
An allergic reaction to a bee sting can usually occur within a few minutes, at least – in a few hours. Symptoms of allergy to bee stings can be:
progressive swelling at the bite’s place
itchy rash all over the body (hives)
cough, shortness of breath like the asthma attack
Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction that threatens the patient’s life. Symptoms are:
swelling of the soft tissues of the mouth, neck
rapid pressure drop, thready pulse
dizziness, loss of consciousness.
Multiple bee stings
Multiple stings can be more dangerous even for people who do not have allergies (especially children and the people with heart problems), but multiple bites rarely lead to death, although many Hollywood filmmakers obviously believe otherwise (joke).
Diagnosis immediately after the bite is self-evident. Diagnosis of the presence/absence of allergies to bee venom include the following:
measurement of specific antibodies (IgE)
Treatment of bee stings
In most cases home remedies are enough. When you have multiple bites and allergies to bee venom you usually need the skilled care. If a bee sting is left in the skin, then it must be removed as soon as possible, because it continues to provide the poison and after a bite. This can be done with forceps, tweezers or something similar. Try not to squeeze the poison sac, attached to the complaint.
Removing bee stings
Wash bitten place with soap and water,
rub hydrocortisone cream or any soothing cream on the bitten place,
do not comb bitten place,
with strong itching or symptoms of allergies you can take antiallergic agent (Claritin, diphenhydramine, etc.)
If allergic symptoms develop quickly or in the past you had life-threatening allergic attacks, you should use autoinjector with epinephrine.
Autoinjector – is a disposable syringe for intramuscular injection.
You must be able to use autoinjector. Also, patients are recommended to train the members of their family to use it.
Patients who are allergic to bees should wear medical alert bracelet (if you can buy).
Immune therapy – in some cases, doctors prescribe desensitization – multiple injections of small doses of the allergen, which leads to a weakening or disappearance of an allergic reaction.
What to put on a bee sting?
You can rub the bite with the solution of aspirin (for its preparation use effervescent aspirin, of course),
during a few minutes you can wet the bite with a solution of baking soda,
moisten the bite with aloe and calendula solution,
you can put sliced onion.
How to prevent bee stings
If you have a serious allergy to bees:
Do not use perfumes with a pungent odor
Do not eat on the street fruit and sweets
Do not wear flashy clothes colors
Clothing should cover arms and legs completely
Wear a cap or hat
While riding in a car close windows
Do not go barefoot
Never dismiss bees – it provokes them
Do not approach beehives
Traditional folk recipes for bites
Wash the bitten place with strong decoction of Veronica drug and make poultices.
Wash place with urine or put a swab soaked in urine.
Chop or grind and bind freshly picked dandelion leaves to insect bite. Change in 2-3 hours
Chop or grind and bind freshly picked plantain leaf to insect bite. Change several times a day.
If you are stung by a bee, remove the stinger from the skin and attach to the place fresh parsley leaves – they reduce pain and inflammatory edema. At the same time you can drink a decoction of the roots of parsley – 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley roots with 0.5 liters of boiling water, keep 8-10 hours, strain and drink 1/4- 1/3 cup 3 times a day for half an hour before meals. This allows you to remove the common allergic reactions.
Put 3 tablespoons of chopped dry bur-marigold in 0.5 liters of boiling water for 8-12 hours, strain and drink the infusion 0/5-1 glass 3 times a day for 20 – 30 minutes before meals (as anti-toxic agent). Simultaneously apply to the site of the bite chopped fresh bur-marigold leaves.
Squeeze the juice from fresh mint and rub. Mint juice has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and anticonvulsant effect.
You can also squeeze the juice of onions, soak a tissue and apply to the painful place. You can use freshly peeled potatoes.
Thank you for the useful information about uksy bees and how to deal with it I think many should know, it’s all in a lifetime